Monday, August 3, 2009

Summer

Summer- the days are longer and hotter, the crickets sing at night and the cicadas during the day. The trees are now fully leafed out and in their summer colors and the plants have filled in too. This is when many people's gardens really get going but not mine. Spring is when my garden has to most going on. I do have plants blooming in the summer just not as many as I'd like. Something I hope to change in the coming years.
This year near the end of spring as I was starting to make some progress on weeding & mulching I sprained both my ankles which put the weeding & mulching at a screeching halt. The weeds on the other hand didn't stop their growing and my yard is a mess. Now that my ankles have almost completely healed I've started slowly to attack the weeding again but w/ 3 little kids and #4 due the end of August it's been slow going. I'll do what I can and hope that next year things go better. If I'm up to it in September I'm hopefully going to divide some plants and do a little rearranging but I know most of that will have to wait until next spring also.

Here are some of the flowers that have bloomed or are blooming in my garden this summer:

above were blooming or in bud on 7-11


in bloom or bud on 7-26 and 8-3

No comments:

Milkweed

Milkweed

monarch caterpillar on milkweed

Butterfly

Butterfly

in the butterfly house


hummingbirds join the butterflies

red panda

Birds in the Aviary

Birds in the Aviary

scarlet ibis